Spreadsheet Design Concepts Series
- How will I test this?
- Clearly identify Input areas
- Group items that need updating with similar frequency
- Place formulas where they are safe from accidents
- Don't use sheet protection, its weak, annoying, counter productive, and reduces peoples ability to check and understand your logic (it creates more problems than it solves),(Trust - but check) Use a compiled component if security is a genuine concern.
- Use cross checks
- Use a (simple) consistent convention to separate items that should be treated differently (inputs/formulas or actual/forecast)
- Use blanks cells around different blocks (enables 'Current Region')
- Consider using a status sheet with summary error reports on it
- Consider support structure - Index, assumptions, accountability.
- Consider personal and tool comfort zone
- Place check controls where they will be noticed
25 January 2012 - UK Excel Developer Conference - London
Products for sale:
New information about the missing FileSearch feature in Office 2007 and details of our pragmatic solution (Current price GBP 30.00)
Instant Excel worksheet protection remover and password recovery (Current price GBP 15.00)
Classic Ribbon Tab
Add Excel 97/2000/2002/2003 compatible menu structure to Excel 2007
(Current Price GBP 10.00)
Products coming soon:
(Find and control external links in Excel Workbooks)
Due by Q1 2111.
(Excel VBA based spreadsheet auditing tool)
Due before the end of 2111.