Spreadsheet Design Concepts Series
- Sketch design on a whiteboard or large piece of paper before commencing the build
- Don't use IF(ISERROR(, be specific (IFERROR( can hide a #REF! )
- Put expected part first in IFs
- Don't start in A1 - Give yourself room to manoeuvre. Try D10 - hide the unused edge rows and columns if required.
- Line sheets up on first data cell rather than headers
- Don't hide non edge rows and columns for visual effect, use a separate sheet/report/view if required
- Use Goal seek and or VBA rather than circular references
- Avoid more than 2 or 3 levels of formula nesting - break it out across several cells.
- Use tools - many pay for themselves on first use. But don't totally rely on them.
- Place totals above and to the left of details (more flexible, and stable and robust eg links, filtering)
- Build for testability - how to test you did what you meant to do
25 January 2012 - UK Excel Developer Conference - London
Products for sale:
New information about the missing FileSearch feature in Office 2007 and details of our pragmatic solution (Current price GBP 30.00)
Instant Excel worksheet protection remover and password recovery (Current price GBP 15.00)
Classic Ribbon Tab
Add Excel 97/2000/2002/2003 compatible menu structure to Excel 2007
(Current Price GBP 10.00)
Products coming soon:
(Find and control external links in Excel Workbooks)
Due by Q1 2111.
(Excel VBA based spreadsheet auditing tool)
Due before the end of 2111.